Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Guest Blogger: Suzanne is back!

Dear friends,
I've recently learned that I have an extraordinary gift....a special skill (if you will)....a secret talent. I seemed to have mysteriously convinced all the Pockettes that I finish everything I start and that I do it in record time! I decided that I should "fess up" and burst that crazy bubble. Alas, it seems that I am just like everyone else. I actually do have a huge pile of UFOs, WIPs, NESYs or whatever crazy acronym we stitchers like to assign to our stash. I took a few pictures so that you guys wouldn't think I was just being modest....LOL.
Today's snapshot of my WIPs (Works in Progress) or UFOs (Unfinished Objects):
Today's snapshot of my NESYs (Not Even Started Yet):
I’m so blessed to live in Lubbock and have the frequent opportunity to shop, browse, seek advice, or just hang out at Pocket Full of Stitches. It’s my favorite place to go when I have free time, which is far less than my spirit would like but way more than my checkbook appreciates. I’m sure you can relate. Recently I learned something that many of you out there in blog-land will also appreciate hearing…..the Pockettes are just like us! On a recent Saturday afternoon, I went to PFOS to hang out and I got to “interview” a few of the Pockettes that were working that day….not that they knew what I was doing of course. I just wanted to find out how their stitching habits and thoughts compared with mine. You know, we all want to know if we really are weirdos or if it’s just par for the needlepoint course. It seems that we’re all more alike than we know. We all have favorite projects, we all have a collection….a stash of canvases and threads (even though we all prefer “virgin” threads when we start a new project) and many of us have lots of completed but not yet “finished” items in our needlepoint storage. I myself have over 50 items that I’ve completed but not sent out for finishing, since as you can clearly see demonstrated in the above pics, I much prefer to spend my needlepoint allowance on a new project! Or bags….I love bags! All kinds of bags! And needlepoint seems to find it’s way into all of them. My Land’s End bags are full of stitchery, toiletry bags work great for needlepoint tools, and occasionally I go to pack a purse or suitcase and find stitchery in there, too! And it’s not that I don’t have about 6 PFOS Stitcher’s Anonymous bags….it’s just that the pesky things are full! So, to free up my non-needlepoint bags, I recently purchased one of the super-sized clear PFOS bags…you know, the one that Anna actually crawled into for the blog photo!?!
If you don’t have one, you should get one:
It’s one of my new favorite things!
And I love the small clear bags also because they are perfect for holding “regular” sized projects/kits – including all your threads, tools, etc. Like this:
Okay….now on to every needlepointer’s favorite topic…."what are you stitching and can I see it?"
My recent favorite project was a fun whimsical reindeer from Ewe and I and Friends. I wanted to make this into a pillow for my daughter and since I’ve never seen a “girl” reindeer, I decided to tweak this project a little.
Here “she” is:
And yes, those really are fake eyelashes! Isn’t she fun? This precious reindeer is about 11 inches square and on 13-count, it stitches really easily and fast! I highly recommend it! The background stitch I chose was so much fun to stitch because you could see it come to life…..probably not the best stitch for a beginner, but if you are one who likes a challenge and has lots of patience (compensating around the snowflakes), then you should definitely try it!
I am a Great-Aunt (still hard for me to say because I have a teenager at home) and I have another grand-niece on the way, so here is what I stitched for her:
I created my own stitch to resemble white eyelet and Pockette Robin taught me a neat “ruching” stitch for the ruffle at the bottom of the dress. Silk ribbons and a cute button made the flower at the top of the dress…..so much fun!
To shake things up a bit, here’s another of my recent favorites –
A fully-beaded small crab design:
You can see how it’s coming along. It was a little hard to photograph but in real life, it looks neat with the beading working its way down from the top. I am stitching this design with colored beads using invisible thread which makes it look much different than “typical” beaded areas. I really like beading using the brick stitch – it’s super fast and easy and it creates a project that’s a bit out of the ordinary. My plan is to use this one on a cute homemade wine bag as a gift. When I ever finish it, that is…. (wink).
This Texas ornament was a lot of fun to stitch and is great for using up threads from your stash….
Since we know we all have one:
This cute ornament has been fun for trying out new stitches…a little crazy on the beard but we’ll see…
I might end up doing some “reverse” stitch on this one (heehee):
This fun project is soon to become a pillow:
My other totally favorite thing that I get oodles of compliments on every day– my wallet:
It’s a finished needlepoint project that I actually get to enjoy every single day!
Happy Stitching, everyone!
XOXO, Suzanne

Thanks so much to Suzanne for writing this awesome blog posting. If you see anything here that you've got questions about, just give us a call or send us an e-mail and we will hook you up!
P.S. Don't forget to leave Suzanne a comment on this post to let her know how much you've enjoyed learning about her needlepointing ways!
1-800-234-1761

4 comments:

  1. Suzanne,

    You make me laugh! I LOVE reading your guest blogs! Your fun personality shines through!

    To all you other blogspot readers, she REALLY DOES stitch fast & her stitching is exquisite!

    "Pockette" Robin :D
    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love seeing that I'm not the only person who has the 'talent' of collecting canvas designs! And I see a couple that I may need to add to my stash! Cute blog entry, made me laugh today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Courageous! If I put all the needlepoint projects that are UFO's or NESY's on display, I truly think my spouse would have a heart attack. He thinks all the stuff I buy and work on is finished! Suzanne, you are one courageous woman and a fun needlepointer and blogger. Thanks for sharing. Janet in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne, I loved your post! I have more wips and nesys than you do so I am relieved I'm not alone. Love your crab and reindeer! Keep on stitching Judith.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails